Carbon monoxide expert , we have been engaged in the field of security for more than ten years. Now we will share experience and personal opinions with readers by writing articles, hoping to help readers.

Table of Contents

How to do product certification

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

With the increasingly fierce competition of domestic goods, many companies hope to sell their products to the international market to promote the growth of trade. Before products enter the international market, what must be done is product certification. This article takes the sales of carbon monoxide detectors to the European market as an example to explain in detail the process of product certification and the materials to be prepared.

In order to legally sell products in the European market, manufacturers, importers or distributors must ensure that their products meet a series of standards set by the EU. First of all, they need to find out and determine the applicable directives and basic requirements of European countries for carbon monoxide products. After making the products according to the requirements, they must carry out relevant tests to meet the mandatory requirements specified by the EU; Then, they need to provide regulatory technical documents to relevant institutions, and report their property, content, possible warnings and known risks; Finally, draft the declaration of conformity according to the applicable law to affix CE label to its products. This process is called CE mark certification. After passing the product certification, the EU conducts continuous inspection on the product through the market supervision authority. When it is found that the product does not meet the established minimum safety conditions, the person responsible for marketing the product must organize the recall of the dangerous products sold to consumers and bear the relevant expenses. More seriously, the EU will revoke the certification of the product so that it cannot circulate in the European market.

Steps for CE certification

1. Read the EU certified Country Commercial Guide

2. Identify applicable directive (legislation)

3. Determine the basic requirements in the directive

4. Pay attention to the unified European EN standard

5. Find a notified bodies (accredited testing laboratory)

6. Create technical documents and declaration of conformity and apply for CE marking

Common EU product certification documents

Declaration of Conformity:

The doc must be issued by the importer or manufacturer placing the product on the EU market. Doc is not issued by third parties or government agencies. The doc may need to be presented upon arrival at the customs authority or at the request of the market surveillance authority or the customer.

Information required:

  • Product ID / SKU
  • Product features
  • Name and address of manufacturer / importer
  • List of EN standards and / or EU directives
  • Place
  • Person in charge

Technical documents

In addition to the declaration of conformity, importers and manufacturers must prepare a technical document – a set of documents supporting doc. Here are some of the documents you may need to include in the technical documentation:

  • Design drawings
  • Technical drawings
  • Packaging design documents
  • List of applicable directives / regulations / EN standards
  • Test report
  • Quality control records
  • User manual
  • Risk assessment


Why is CE marking required by certification bodies?

If the EU requires independent testing, certification or inspection of products, you need a certification body to carry out CE marking.

What are the benefits of the CE mark?

CE mark allows your products to be sold in Europe. Products meeting CE standards are more reliable and safe, so as to reduce the risk of customer dissatisfaction.

Do I need to send the product certificate for approval?

Product certificates, and support documents such as test reports, are generally not submitted for approval. However, all mandatory compliance documents must be in order before the product is placed on the market.

Where can I get the European standard for carbon monoxide detectors?

Residence rules (taking UK as an example)

The latest legal amendment in England is the 《smoke and carbon monoxide warning regulations 2015》 and approval document J. The purpose is to extend the existing private rental legislation to social rental properties and improve fire safety in social housing.

  • All private and social landlords are required to install carbon monoxide alarms in rooms with fixed combustion equipment, such as boilers, heating heaters and water heaters (excluding gas stoves).
  • When new fixed combustion equipment (except gas stove) is installed, the landlord has a legal obligation to install carbon monoxide alarm in any house. At the same time, all landlords will also be required to repair or replace the alarm once they receive the fault notice.
  • Guidelines on alarm location and carbon monoxide alarm types will be reviewed and made compliant with BS EN 50292 and BS EN 50291.

Get up to our New updates